Peppery Flatbread Crackers
We stumbled into this recipe while we were preparing for our first official event! We wanted a delicious, yummy cracker that could accompany our soup and hold a smidge of raw cashew cheese. I like this recipe, because it is super easy, and there is room to improvise (which we LOVE to do). We tried it with an all-purpose gluten free flour, and it worked OK. When we used a sprouted organic spelt flour, it brought them to a whole new level :) I really like sprouted flour because all of the enzymes are left intact in the grain, and make it easier to digest. IF, you are allergic to wheat, you will want to sub for GF flour. And, if you would rather use other herbs than pepper, just sub that out too!
These crackers are amazing with our Herbed Cashew Cheese, and is also spectacular dipping into any one of our Hummus recipes.
1 ½ C Flour
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt (or more depending on how salty you like!)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted (we like the unflavoured one for these crackers)
½ C cold water
SOULSHINEY; add in for extra shine: 2 Tbsp Turmeric powder
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Mix all dry ingredients until well combined
3. Add coconut oil and water, and mix until dough forms. Don’t be afraid to use your hands! And form the dough into a ball
4. Let sit for 10 minutes
5. Divide the ball into 4 pieces, and roll each piece out quite thin
6. Place on a pizza stone OR a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
7. Bake for 5 mins and then flip and bake for 5 mins more.
8. Once finished, turn off oven and let them sit for a half hour to gain crispy goodness