Just last week Val and I were lucky enough to harvest our own veg (on a gorgeous November day) at one of our favourite local ORGANIC farms in the area, Sunrise Organics. Mark Grahlman and Joyce Taylor have a wee piece of heaven and grow some of THE BEST organic veg around. Mark encouraged us to come out and dig up and pick whatever we needed for our first catering gig. We were so excited at this offer and must have spent 2 hours wandering through the fields and soaking up the sunshine.
We stumbled across a row of purple and golden beets that had the healthiest looking green tops. When we dug them up, we knew these beets would make an amazing addition to our platters.
We kept the golden beets raw for our dips, but decided to roast the purple ones. Our guests gobbled these right up and many folks have been asking us for the recipe since. Beets are high in vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (which is essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). Roasted beets make such a nice accompaniment to any meal :) Enjoy!
Here is what you will need:
1lb purple beets (organic are best!)
1” piece of fresh turmeric (always a good superfood to add in), grated
3 Tbsp. coconut oil (melted) *s.shine note: we use unflavored for this recipe so they don’t taste too coconut-y
Sea Salt & Pepper
¼ C Fresh Dill
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
2. Scrub beets and remove tops, but be sure to leave a 1” stem. You could also remove the long root, but we leave ours on
3. Place beets, melted coconut oil, turmeric and salt and pepper in a glass bowl and toss until all ingredients are combined
4. Place beets on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and roast in oven for 15 minutes
5. Check with fork to ensure the beets are cooked. If they need a little more, try another 5 mins